Blog 2: Web Analytics
Web Analytics & Google Analytics
Web analytics quickly breaks down that ability to maintain the culinary world metaphor for structuring the blog. However, it also shows the power of the analytics built off of the digital footprints. Imagine a restaurant with the ability to understand everyone who chose to eat their or not, and where they came from. Imagine a restaurant with the ability to understand how patrons navigate the menu, and which menu items had patrons leave or buy. Though traditionally focused on top sellers and top revenue generators, menu analytics has been a core concept for restaurant success. Taking a page from the eCommerce world, restaurants that are able to at least migrate their menus to a digital platform can leverage all the benefits of web analytics.
With web analytics there is a wide breadth of possible insights. Understanding who your consumers are is just as important to the success of a business as understanding the profit margins of your offerings. Being able to turn these insights into site-based experiments really turns up the dial in turns of the Deming Cycle, and lets the measurement happen in real-time with every user included in the analysis. Coupling this with a platform like Google Analytics, and there is a lot of information available to organizations without the need for large teams of analysts to understand the basics of user behavior, site content efficacy, and conversion rates towards their goals.
Though I work in a large organization, I look forward to learning who I can work with to see the Google Analytics of our website, as I want to take the strategic goals and near-term objectives and see how we measure up. Digitally speaking.
Web analytics quickly breaks down that ability to maintain the culinary world metaphor for structuring the blog. However, it also shows the power of the analytics built off of the digital footprints. Imagine a restaurant with the ability to understand everyone who chose to eat their or not, and where they came from. Imagine a restaurant with the ability to understand how patrons navigate the menu, and which menu items had patrons leave or buy. Though traditionally focused on top sellers and top revenue generators, menu analytics has been a core concept for restaurant success. Taking a page from the eCommerce world, restaurants that are able to at least migrate their menus to a digital platform can leverage all the benefits of web analytics.
With web analytics there is a wide breadth of possible insights. Understanding who your consumers are is just as important to the success of a business as understanding the profit margins of your offerings. Being able to turn these insights into site-based experiments really turns up the dial in turns of the Deming Cycle, and lets the measurement happen in real-time with every user included in the analysis. Coupling this with a platform like Google Analytics, and there is a lot of information available to organizations without the need for large teams of analysts to understand the basics of user behavior, site content efficacy, and conversion rates towards their goals.
Though I work in a large organization, I look forward to learning who I can work with to see the Google Analytics of our website, as I want to take the strategic goals and near-term objectives and see how we measure up. Digitally speaking.

Hi Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this blog and your analogy to a restaurant environment! At the end of the day, you want to deliver the right service to your clients and try to improve your services to get the most revenue. It's very interesting that you mentioned the Deming Cycle which is something I have recently learned in my other class and this was in a part of the ITIL IT service management framework. I feel that continuous improvement is a common theme in business and IT where we continue to monitor our performance, analyze our reportings, and act to improve the process, and the cycle just continues...
Hey Jessica, nicely framed your blog around the analogy to a restaurant environment. I think, it gives us a proper perspective to think and understand how exactly it is so important to know our audience, doesn't matter in which field of business we are in.
ReplyDelete